11 June, 2008

brandin' b's

My dad has had some land in Brownwood for several years now. Originally, he used it simply to hunt on; but it later turned into Rock Springs Ranch. He has had several cattle and horses the past few years. Along with the herd of cattle obviously comes several calves. Each year the new calves must be given shots, branded, and castrated. The "branding" has become a family tradition somewhat that provides great entertainment. The men of the family all participate in some way, while the women and children are simply spectators. This past weekend was the infamous "branding." Beckham, of course, was very excited about it. He was ready first thing that morning with his jeans, boots, spurs, and cowboy hat! Berkley dressed in her cowgirl attire as well. As girly as she is, she truly enjoys this event. (I think she appreciates the entertainment! And the fact that she gets to watch her daddy & JT play cowboy, which is something she doesn't see every day!)


This year the branding was a little modernized. JT tried an electric brand. Look at that smoke... that just can't be enjoyable! Like I said earlier, ALL of the men get involved. Chris helps "tackle" these poor calves, while Matt does the "cutting." Calf fries anyone?!?
Beckham & Berkley watched in amazement...
and were pretty cute little cowpokes!!!
When the branding was finished, Beckham got to "participate" a little. Here he is helping JT "count the cattle."
He also got to ride with Cowboy Tom. (He is a genuine cowboy who takes care of things at the ranch... there were a few other cowboys there to help besides JT, Matt & Chris!!!)Here is Beckham trying out his "yee-haw." He was a little shy at first, but he gave it a good try.




In my last blog I mentioned Berkley's attention to detail in certain situations... well I think Beckham paid quite a bit of attention at the branding as well. Tonight we ate dinner outside with our friend, Keeton. After dinner Berkley & Beckham ran around playing while we were talking. Matt began to notice that they were tackling each other, which is not normal for them. Then he heard Berkley shout out, "No, don't brand me!" As we began watching we quickly realized they were "branding" each other. They were taking turns being the cow or the cowboy. I love the fact that they were using red and yellow hot peppers from their kitchen to brand with! They are too funny! Kids really pick up on so much more than we give them credit for.

Here is the "tackle" by cowboy Beckham...


Branding Berkley... her face kind of looks like the expression on those poor calves!

So... these are my brandin' b's. Who knows what the next adventure will be!!!

3 comments:

Matt said...

If you could have only seen the two of them running around chasing each other. The best was watching Beckham actually pick Berkley up & them lifting himself up in the air so he could have enough momentum to get her on the ground. It reminded me of his Uncle Chris this past weekend with the calves. Everything was fun and all until they asked me to be the cow & Beckham asked for a knife......he needed to cut me! I know Melanie has been wanting me to get the knife, I just didn't realize she had been persuading Beckham to lead the charge!

Anonymous said...

Yikes Matt! I'd sleep with one eye open if I was you! :)

I love the tackling photo of Beckham and Berkley!!!

Lisa Mae said...

Hey Matt, I'm ready for the knife. Let's go for it!!! I hope you kept the fry's....sounds like a man night. Jeff