22 August, 2011

back to school and back to blogging


Today was a big day for two of my little Bs.  Berkley started second grade and Beckham headed to Kindergarten.  It is hard to believe it is already time to go "Back to School!"  It is really a bittersweet time for me.  I always hate saying goodbye to Summer, but I have always loved heading back to school too.  I'm not sure if it is the teacher in me or just the fact that I thrive on schedules and routine, but there is something kind of magical about the first day of school; and although it is not considered the new year it still feels like a new year is beginning.  It is a great time to start fresh, get organized and refocus.  So, on that note I am "back to blogging."  I have not documented the stories of my Bs for such a long time and I miss it.  I hate the thought of not having something to look back on and remind me of such wonderful memories that we are making right now.  So I am going to do something about it and I figure there is no better time to start than the beginning of their school year.  There is so much adventure awaiting!

Berkley was simply ecstatic about heading back to school.  She got the teacher she had been hoping for, she has a couple of great friends in her class, and she just loves school all together.  Beckham was happy to be heading to Austin and excited that he too got the teacher he was wanting, but he also had some hesitations about it all.  He is used to going to preschool only three days a week.  As the harsh reality set in that being in Kindergarten meant you went to school five days a week the excitement seemed to fade a little.  Fortunately, he has a great class, full of a great group of kids, and a teacher that is absolutely amazing.  All of these things added together made this transition not seem so bad.

First day of school always means LOTS of pictures.  We first started with pictures at our house.  Berkley and Beckham were great sports.  (and looked adorable I might add)



Our next stop was our old house.  Since it is right by Austin AND our great friends now live in our house AND they just happen to also have a little boy heading to Kindergarten who is ALSO Beckham's BFF, we parked there for more pictures.  Berkley was ready to pose for more too.

Beckham was hanging in there as well even though the smile was beginning to look a little forced.

Then, of course, Beckham's BFF Sawyer had to join us in the pictures.  After all we were posing in his front yard.


The mommas sure didn't want to be left out of all the photo fun!


Or the daddies for that matter.


Our crew was finally ready to head over to Austin.  Beckham and Sawyer didn't end up in the same class so they gave each other a little encouragement before they headed their own ways.

Berkley insisted we drop her off first.  She is definitely a rule follower and did not want to be a minute late.  She quickly found one of her best buddies, Kaitlyn, and they prepared to head in together.

Faces of pure joy and excitement...and absolute confidence too.  These second graders don't seem to need any help from their mommies!

Finally we headed to the Kindergarten building to take Beckham.  He patiently awaited his turn at the lockers.

His locker was on top, but he assured us that he could reach it by himself!

Beckham's sweet teacher greeted him and made him feel right at home.  We are so blessed that Beckham is in Mrs. Ratcliff's class.  We absolutely adore her at our house.  (She was Berkley's teacher too and she is amazing!)

One of Beckham's buddies quickly found him and greeted him as well.

And even more buddies gathered...not sure if this is a good thing or not.  This group might be TROUBLE!!!  (But they sure are cute!)

Beckham gave one last hug to Brenner as the bell rang, which cued all the lingering parents (yes that would be me) that it was time for the day to begin.

And just like that Brenner and I were headed home...just us.  My baby B will turn four next month and this is the first time he will have a couple of days at home with just me.  This too is bittersweet, because although I am so excited for some one-on-one time with Brenner that he definitely deserves being the third; it also means another one of my Bs has grown up that much more.  And soon enough all of my Bs will be in school.  It is such a reminder for me to enjoy each day I have with my amazing kids.  Time flies by, and I think some days I am even wishing it to; yet today I am reminded that I want it to slow down... maybe even freeze for a while.  So I will try to truly live each day God blesses me with and cherish each moment... not forgetting to blog about it along the way.

3 comments:

Jami said...

I love it Melanie!!! We are so grateful to be in the B's life. Sawyer was upset the other day because he was not a "B". I questioned him asking, " what do you mean?" he replied, "my name doesn't start with a B". I reminded him that in fact his first name is Bentley, 7 letters and all. I could bot be more proud that he and Beckham are B's and BFF's. We are grateful God has joined our lives and blessed us with your friendships.

Anonymous said...

Cute! Bella going to kinder this year is really waking me up to how fast time flies!

Erin said...

So glad you are back to blogging! Looking forward to more Paul adventures!