02 February, 2009

winter swimming

This past Saturday we decided we needed a little family fun! The kids really look forward to the weekends right now, because they get to spend some quality time with daddy. (He has been working really hard during the week and usually doesn't make it home until the kids are in bed.) Berkley has been wanting to go swimming pretty much every minute since we have been back from our vacation to San Diego. (We went with all of my family in October and had a blast!) Berkley finally swam on her own with complete confidence while we were there, so she has been wanting to practice more. However, the water is usually pretty chilly in January!!!

Good thing we heard about the indoor pool that has reopened at Fairway. What a perfect way for the kids to get a chance to work on some of their swimming skills before the Summer season arrives. When I asked the kids what they might want to do on Saturday, Berkley immediately suggested swimming and Beckham agreed with excitement. Although Matt and I honestly shared very little of their enthusiasm, we decided we would be good sports. We headed to the pool late that afternoon after everyone's naps. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised. We had the pool all to ourselves... along with our personal lifeguard, who looked super excited to be there!!! (And probably even more excited when she saw our family of five arrive!)

The minute we were inside, the kids were ready to jump in. Even Brenner was excited to see the water. Matt and I sucked it up and jumped in. It actually felt pretty good. The water wasn't super warm, but definitely warm enough. The kids thought it was absolutely perfect.
I truly think that Berkley had the most fun. She was all smiles while we were there.She jumped off the side over and over again swimming all the way across the pool to Matt. She did a great job, and it was fun to see how proud she was of her accomplishment. It actually brought back a lot of memories to me. I had one of my birthday parties at this exact indoor pool. I think it might have been my 7th birthday party. It is crazy to now be in the same pool watching my five year old jump into the water with the same excitement I had when I was little.
Beckham had a great time too. He also jumped off the side over and over again. He does an impressive belly flop, but I didn't get a picture!Brenner was even happy in the water. He jumped off the side a few times too. Well...maybe more like leaned into the water from a sitting position, but still pretty impressive for such a little guy.
We had a great time together. Getting out wasn't very fun, however. As warm as the water had been, once we hit the dressing rooms it was like an arctic blast. I've never dressed my kids so fast. We were all happy to get back in our warm car and head home. I'm sure that will be an adventure that we get to explore more and more as we wait for Summer to arrive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for swimming!!! :) Maybe we'll bring our suits when we come! :) Our kids LOVE the water. They YMCA is another indoor pool in A-town but I bet Fairway is much nicer and alot less crowded!

Lisa Mae said...

how fun you get to raise your kiddos in the place you grew up. looks like it was a special day. sorry i missed you today on the phone. hopefully we will get a chance to catch up soon. missing ya!

Teri said...

that looked like so much fun! Your kids have the most precious smiles! hugs xoxo