04 August, 2008

off the cliff

If your daddy jumped off of a cliff would you? YES!!! At least this is how Berkley & Beckham answered this past weekend. Of course, the jump was into the lake... so anything involving water and adventure usually gets my little b's interested.

We spent the weekend at Possum Kingdom with Matt's cousin, Corri, and her husband and two boys. It was a fun-filled weekend for sure. (More pictures to come soon!) However, one of Matt's favorite adventures was jumping off a cliff into the lake with the kids. (Okay, not Brenner!) Corri's husband, Wess, had found this beautiful area of the lake with several flat rocks in the water where you could sit and cool off. It was a great area for the kids to play around in. There was also a perfect spot to climb up one of the nearby cliffs with a nice landing to jump from. As soon as we pulled up to it, Matt began asking Berkley and Beckham if they wanted to jump with him. They immediately screamed "YES!!" at the same time. So... out of the boat they hopped, to the rocks they swam, and up the path they climbed to the top of the cliff.

Here is the cliff...
Here they are making their journey to the top.
Now at the top, contemplating their plunge.

Once they made it to the top, the kid's excitement seemed to dwindle a little. You could see them questioning their decision instantly. They both continued to stand and listen to Matt's instructions, but with a little concern on their face.

Matt jumped first and absolutely loved it!

Beckham followed immediately after Matt. In fact, he was so fast I didn't even get his picture. I just got him once he came up out of the water.

Berkley hesitated for a second, but she decided to take the plunge as well.


Matt was ready to go again, but when he asked the kids who was going with him he got no response. One time was enough for them. Or so they thought...

The next day we got out on the boat again with our whole crew. After a few rounds of wakeboarding the kids were getting hot and bored. We decided to find our spot by the rocks again. Matt was ready to make another jump and Corri's son, McKay, who is Berkley's age wanted to try as well. He had missed the event the day before, because he had stayed at the lakehouse with Corri. I thought for sure Berkley and Beckham would take a pass on their turn, but once we got there and they saw Matt jump into the water from the boat, they decided they wanted a piece of the action too. Once again, they climbed the cliff and prepared for their plunge. Berkley wanted to go first this time, but she quickly lost her confidence. In fact, she backed out and let Matt and Beckham go instead. McKay went next and that seemed to make Berkley want to give it a try again since they are such good buddies. I think she wanted to do whatever he did. (I know... peer pressure!) Beckham had decided once again that one jump was good enough for him. Berkley headed back up the cliff with Matt for another go at it, and this time there was no pause. She jumped with excitement, landed in the water, came up smiling and asking to go again. She jumped over and over... six times to be exact. After 3 jumps in a row, I decided I needed to get in on all of the excitement. I kept thinking it must not seem very high, especially since Berkley was loving it. Honestly, I got to the top of the cliff and knew it was going to take all I had to make myself jump. (Not that I am the most daring mommy anyway... but it was definitely a stretch for me!) Berkley stood up there with me laughing as I debated my jump. I took a deep breath, counted to 3, and took the plunge. It was fun, but I took in lots of water up my nose and almost lost my swimsuit bottoms. One jump was definitely enough for me... but at least I could say I did it. (Especially since my 4 year old and 2 year old had made the plunge!)

I was more prepared on the boat this time, and I got video footage of everyone's jumps. It offers a little adventure and entertainment for sure.

Here is Beckham taking the plunge for the second time.

Next up... Mommy! Berkley is close by cheering me on.


Here comes Berkley... showing Mommy how the pros jump!


Who knew our girly-girl, Miss Berkley, had such adventure in her? I'm not going to be able to keep up with this girl! Good thing her daddy can!

5 comments:

Marmie said...

Wow — my kids are a bunch of crazy maniacs!?!

No, seriously, I am impressed. What a fun adventure.

Teri said...

Brave!!! So glad you captured it on video! Ty wants to join in on the fun...

Anonymous said...

What fun! Makes me want to go swimming!!!

courtney said...

wow--i can't believe your little ones did that! were you a nervous wreck? i would have been! ;)

Lisa Mae said...

Yeah right....Cole would have never have done that. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I would have.